Wednesday, May 27, 2009

License to be Glad



Memorial Day was spent with family and friends at Crockett Park near Manassas,VA. Lovely day, great time. Came home that evening to find that my husband's drivers license was still at the boat rental place where he'd handed it over as security when he rented canoes for our adventures. Well, long story short, we returned the equipment, but didn't get the license. Should have been thinking, but weren't. No problems, I thought, as I had Tuesday free and could drive the 30 minutes back there and retrieve it. My mistake, as it turned out.

Rain was falling pretty hard and I parked the car at the edge of the park (you have to hoof it in as cars are not allowed within the actual park perimeters.) Anyway, hoofed it in, got to the rental place and guess what??? The place was shut down for the day due to the weather. Grumble, grumble, grumble! I waited a bit, poked around a bit, looked at the beautiful view which reminded me of Maine on a misty day, and eventually went back to the car in a huff. That was Tuesday.

Wednesday arrived along with a call from Chaz at the rental place. He's calling to inform me that he has John's license! Who knew??!! I asked if they would be open today or whether a few raindrops were going to shut them down. I probably wasn't at my sweetest at this point because I knew what I was up against. Driving another 30 minutes to the park, parking, hoofing it in, maybe finding a human being, and then back home again. Isn't that the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Got there and made it to the rental place and found all in apple pie order. Got the license and began my trek out, when I remembered I was supposed to be grateful in all things, so began to think of ways I could thank God. My safety on all of these journeys, the exercise I had been able to get as I walked the trails, the charming little woodpecker I saw hammering away at a tree, beautiful views of the still misty lake, all of these came to mind. So I was a little inconvenienced. So what? I had nice drives in the country and the money to put gas in the car to do it, so I did have many things for which I could be grateful. Now I need to work on realizing that sooner and quit the grumbling a little earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment